Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ethnography: Muggle Quidditch! #0


My preliminary thoughts before visiting the Quidditch intramural gathering:
Going into this, I had only a vague idea of what to expect.  I imagined it would be silly to watch people running around with brooms between their legs.  A couple of Youtube videos confirmed this for me.  I considered that maybe there would be a lot of hardcore Harry Potter fans into the game, and maybe the few stragglers who came in because of their friends.  I was interested to know how they managed the rules to accommodate the lack of magical enchantments.   Beyond that, I expected it to be just like any other outdoor sports gathering – just with the slight nerdy twist.  I did not expect any sort of specific behavior from the people as individuals; just average college-age humans with a love for the wizarding world.

The Aftermath:
After going to visit one of their scrimmages to see how they operate, one thing caught my attention very quickly.  The people are VERY NICE!  I counted four different people get offered a broom and a chance to play when they paused to watch.  Oddly, this did not extend to me.  I got the impression it was because of my blue jeans which are clearly not suitable for running; or perhaps because I didn’t have a completely confused look on my face.  I took the time to speak with different players who had been on the team in years past.  I discovered that because the game is relatively new, the players are particularly fond of finding loopholes to make the game more fun (such as the Snitch riding off in the bed of a truck).  After the first fifteen minutes of relatively nonspecific chatter, I got my first reminder that essentially everyone around me was a Harry Potter fan.  A couple of people started talking about Rupert Grint, actor for Ron Weasley in the movies, showing up at a Quidditch game.  What struck me the most was the fact everyone present knew the actor by name as if he had turned up at their own practice.  This led to two comments that sent my mind reeling at the notion of just how deep this fan group went.  This was a retelling of a comment made by Daniel Radcliffe, actor for Harry Potter, when asked if he would go to any Quidditch games to which he responded (according to this speaker talking to me), “Do you have any idea what would happen to me if I did that?”  The other comment was along the lines of, “Just imagine if Emma Watson walked onto the field right now and how quickly she’d be dog piled by like 30 guys.”  This was such a brief exchange, but it so completely opened my eyes that I remembered I wasn’t simply at another athletic meet (albeit a slightly silly one).  I look forward to seeing how this common knowledge base among the players influences their behaviors, jokes, etc.

As curious as the Harry Potter culture underneath Quidditch is, I’m actually more interested in the game itself and the mentality of its players.  Specifically, I’m extremely interested in the mentality and relationship between the Snitch and Seekers in a game.  Much of the remainder of the game I can vaguely wave off as a combination of rugby and dodge ball.  Watching the Seekers try to catch the Snitch is more like watching a one vs. one vs. one capture the flag game where the flag is moving and pushing back.  To research this, I plan to join the Quidditch practices (and perhaps travel to some intercollegiate tournaments with the team) and train as a Seeker, then play as the Snitch in several games.  These are the “personal experience” approach, but I will also spend more time around Snitches and Seekers, investigating their thoughts on the interactions.  Since, being a full-contact sport, Quidditch requires a waiver to play, I contented myself with just talking to the charismatic Snitch who was on the field.  Multiple games were played, so he was taking a rest while new players took turns being the Snitch.  This taught me some of the most important things about the Snitch.  In Harry Potter, the Snitch is what ends the game.  It is all about finding that Snitch.  In real life, that’s not practical.  The players get tired running around in the heat while the Snitch is way out of the way minding its own business.  Having the Snitch on the field, where Seekers actively try to catch it, is when the most fun occurs because the excitement of the end of the game is near.  New Snitches tended to be gone for 20+ minutes with the game just rushing along at its fast pace, whereas the Snitch I was talking to would normally come back in around 10 or maybe 15 minutes.  I understood this Snitch to enjoy pushing the Seekers around when they tried to catch him (that is, the black sock with a tennis ball in it that hung from his waist).  He was a fit long distance runner and very agile, so he could continue to do so for extended periods of time.  Of course, being on the team will also lead me to the “insider’s” point of view for the ethnography, and I hope will provide me with additions “ins” to the team.  I greatly anticipate this research project.

No comments:

Post a Comment